10 Questions That'll Make You Fall in Love on the First Date
28 Sep 2021 •2 min read
The questions start out as simple, icebreaker type questions ("Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?"), but eventually, they get more probing ("How do you feel about your relationship with your mother?"). Then, at the end of all the questions, you're supposed to participate in a four-minute staring contest with this stranger...and that's supposed to seal the deal. The idea is that when you bother to get to know someone — like REALLY get to know their story — you'll end up feeling closer and more connected than if you just talk about your favorite football team, your job, and how many siblings you have.
When you BOTH open yourself up to feeling vulnerable, love might actually happen: "Most of us think about love as something that happens to us. We fall. We get crushed. But what I like about this study is how it assumes that love is an action...Love didn’t happen to us. We’re in love because we each made the choice to be."
So, while you may not want to ask 36 intense questions on your very first date, here are 10 that we think are definitely worth bringing up before the end of night one.
1. What's your idea of a "perfect" day?
2. In four minutes or less, tell me your life story in as much detail as possible.
3. What do you value most in a friendship?
4. What's your favorite memory?
5. What's your worst memory?
6. What roles do love and affection play in your life?
7. How close are you with your family?
8. What's the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you?
9. What's the greatest accomplishment of your life (so far)?
10. Tell me something that you like about me already.
There you have it! While these questions won't necessarily make you fall head over heels all at once, it's important to know someone on a deeper level than just what meets the surface.